Tuesday 12 July 2016

Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series: Appendix

                                                             APPENDIX B

When Lin Carter and the Adult Fantasy Series signed off, Carter did not sit still. And so I have one last fantasy series to bring to your attention before I, too, sign off. This next series lasted for 6 volumes, and though I have read them they will not be reviewed here, but should be of interest to collectors of the main series. I will merely display the cover art and the table of contents. I was fortunate to find the entire collection all at once in one used book store. Maybe you, too, will get lucky and find this wonderful series...














The series continued, but with a different editor. Lin Carter kept busy until his death in 1988. Because of him and Ballantine, fantasy readership has grown into a huge market, with no signs of ever dying out.  I can particularly recommend the short stories by Pat McIntosh.

Though I am signing off of this website, I may return someday with a further appendix, discussing the fourth Titus book (written by Peake's wife, based on his sketches), and a word or two about The Silmarillion. My main task has ended, however. As a teen I came under the influence of the Ballantine series, and as I grew, aged, married, worked, lived and travelled, the series always stayed with me. Each visit to a used book store would see me searching for the unicorn symbol, slowly adding to my collection. It wasn't until I retired from teaching school music that I finally had the time to read the entire series, and to complete my collection. It has been a nearly five-year reading journey! I hope the website has introduced readers to some of the marvellous and timeless fantasy books that are still available in used book stores, as most titles are long out of print. I will continue to read fantasy (and many other genres, including science fiction) all my life, and have Tolkien, Peake, Eddison and Lin Carter to thank, among others. So long, and thanks for all the fantasy!

Mike, April 6th, 2015
 
If you have enjoyed reading these books along with me, you might be interested in my current project, a 27-vol. SF series published in the 70s by Avon-Equinox. Follow this link for more reading adventures....

No comments:

Post a Comment